DC Sharp: Interview with Derek SwansonGreg
1. Hello Derek. Can you tell me something more about yourself and DC Sharp?
How did you start and where did you learn how to sharpen knives?
I’m just a typical dude. I was working a boring government job when I looked into starting sharpening as a side hustle because I couldn’t find anyone in DC to sharpen properly. I watched some youtube videos and sharpened knives for friends pro bono. After that all it takes is practice, the more the better.
2. What is a knife to you?
3. You mentioned that you practice Japanese-style knife sharpening. Can you tell us why?
4. Could you tell us your secret, how to sharpen knives? What is your technique?
5. How to know if the knife is dull and need sharpening?
6. How many knives you had to sharpen to master your skills?
7. What advise would you give to beginners?
8. There is many opinions that you should learn on cheap knives first. Do you agree with that?
9. Right now, what is your biggest business challenge? Do you have any plans to grow your business or improve your skills even more?
Thank you Derek for telling us more your business and for sharing some tips about knife sharpening. We would like to wish you all the best and good luck with finding the right partners.
Greg – professionalbutcherknives.com